Wednesday, July 20, 2011

This week's obsession: soccer

Ever fall into a period where you just obsess and obsess over something? Well, that's pretty much the story of my life, and lately that something is soccer. It probably has to do with the women's world cup and the success of the us women's national team but call up the band wagon cuz I'm jumping on. Watching the world cup made me realize how much i really miss soccer. I've played softball, basketball, volleyball, and soccer in a many different leagues  ran cross country for my high school, played pick up games of Frisbee, football, and quite a few rounds of mini gold, and have come to realize that soccer was always my favorite sport. Around the time i was like 12-15 it probably seemed otherwise. I was on a softball track. I was playing in multiple different leagues and I even ha d a couch that was working just with me on my catching. I was getting good, and I loved it, but i wasn't as good as others so i didn't get to play. Thus the point of all my extra training was gone. I quit softball after that year and i could have quit sooner to play soccer at my high school but by that point i was already on the softball team and i'm not a quitter, but really what difference does a season make. I couldn't play quinsippi anymore and none of my friends played soccer so i didn't have people to play indoor with so it was good bye soccer. 

Something about watching that world cup final game brought all of this back out of me. I spent hours researching players, team , the season and of course i found out that most of my new favorite players are playing this week (tonight actually). Unfortunately soccer isn't really aired in the us especially women's pro soccer. This, game however, after much talk on twitter, became sold out and then picked up by fox soccer channel which means after me searching for like 10 hours to find where i could watch the game i could finally watch it! Score! but then i don't have fox soccer and i couldn't find anyone who did. Major bummer. I had pretty much given up  and i was just browsing the women's pro soccer website www.womensprosoccer.com check it out when i found where it was going to be webcast. 
So i'm pumped the game starts in about an hour and i'm watching it and hopefully watch the rest of the games this season except when i am in italy... the one down side of going... So if you are still reading this. This has been one of my many obsessions this week and i'm sure this whole thing was more than you needed to know and completely random. So the point of this Americans should jump on the women's pro soccer bandwagon we need more appreciation for women's sports in the US otherwise what do little girls have to dream about.

No comments:

Post a Comment